Now enrolling for classes Nationwide and Distance/Online learning
commencing February 2017
The Certificate in Payroll Techniques (CPT)
This qualification provides payroll personnel with a nationally recognised qualification by which they can be evaluated. The syllabus for this IPASS qualification was prepared following consultation with payroll professionals in industry, commerce and in the public sector, and it reflects the diverse range of skills and knowledge which all payroll professionals require in order to function efficiently.
What qualification will I obtain?
Successful students will obtain the Certificate in Payroll Techniques which is accredited by QQI as a Level 6 Special Purpose qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications.
The course material includes numerous examples and self assessment questions which students can use to develop their knowledge while they study. The course is extremely practical and interesting and is designed to allow students to progress at a realistic pace. Whether you already work in payroll, or not, you will find this course extremely interesting, practical and relevant to you.
Who should enrol?
- Anyone who is responsible for maintaining a company's PAYE, PRSI and USC records
- People responsible for the completion of PAYE, PRSI and USC Returns
- Accounts Managers and staff
- People working in a finance department
- Accountants and Accounting Technicians
- People who wish to improve their knowledge of the Irish PAYE, PRSI and USC system
- Anyone who wants to obtain a valuable qualification
Download Your Application Form Here
1. Benefits to You
Students who graduate as a Certified Payroll Technician will:
- Hold a QQI accredited Level 6 qualification
- Become an invaluable member of their employers' financial team, by being aware of their employer's compliance obligations in a highly technical area
- Greatly enhance their career development prospects
- Enhance their payroll skills, their technical expertise and confidence
- Develop their professional skills and abilities through the application of advanced training
- Develop a network of contacts in a range of businesses working in the same specialist field as themselves
2. Benefit to Employers
- Have a highly skilled individual with a unique technical knowledge of every employer's compliance requirements in relation to payroll
- Know that their largest tax liabilities are being managed by a person who holds a specialist professional qualification
- Gain an improved service which will being real financial, organisational and practical benefits to the organisation
- Enhance your staff development by assisting them to obtain a valuable qualification
- Recognise the need to have a truly professional payroll working environment
- Reduce the potential of incurring penalties and other charges from the Revenue Commissioners, Department of Social Protection and National Employment Rights Authority
The payroll function is probably the only function which affects every employee in every company. Employers need to ensure that payroll staff are given the necessary training to enable them to perform their duties to the highest standard. Apart from the positive effect on all staff, which an accurate and efficient payroll service will generate, employers need to ensure that inadequate or inaccurate knowledge of their payroll staff does not lead to problems with the Revenue, the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation and the Department of Social Protection. In the present era of self assessment and Revenue audits, professionally qualified payroll staff can make a huge difference to the financial and functional performance of any business.
The CPT course is run in 2 stages; Stage 1 & Stage 2, each comprising of 1 class per week, of 3 hours duration per class for 9 weeks. The classes allow ample time to complete the course of study and include sufficient time to allow students to attempt sample questions on each chapter and at least 2 sample exam papers. Students, who are unable to attend classes, have the option of studying by distance/online learning.
Download a Brochure Here
What students say
"I have worked in payroll for 10 years but have learnt more about payroll in the past few weeks"
Marion Martyn, National University of Ireland Galway
"Some years ago I completed the Payroll Technician course with IPASS. This along with the continued support we received from IPASS has been invaluable in the smooth running of our payroll department. Any queries we have are answered immediately by the very knowledgeable and friendly staff in IPASS. I would recommend IPASS membership to any payroll department".
Mark Molloy, Citizens Information
"As a Human Resource Manager I have a great deal of interaction with our payroll section. Up to now I have had minimal knowledge of the complexities behind the payroll calculations. This course had provided me with an understanding of the most important areas of PAYE, PRSI and USC. The classes were very interactive, simplified as much as possible and we have access to plenty of notes. The course book has become a sort of bible in my office and we regularly have reason to refer to it. Best of all I got some money back from the taxman before Christmas and without the course I wouldn't have known I was entitled to it. My only regret is that I didn't do the course earlier".
Aoife Hayes, Personnel Section Oireachtas
|Main Examination Sitting||Repeat/Deferral Examinations||Revision Day||Revision Day|
|(Nationwide)||(Dublin Only)||(Nationwide)||(Dublin Only)|
|Saturday 20th May||Saturday 4th February||Saturday 6th May||Saturday 28th January|
|Satrurday 9th December||Saturday 12th August||Saturday 25th November||Saturday 29th July|